Assistant City Manager / Land Development Manager
Under general administrative direction, performs highly responsible and complex management and administrative duties and undertakes a variety of special projects for the City Manager; assists the City Manager with the direction and coordination of the activities of all City departments; directly supervises assigned program areas; provides leadership in policy formation and implementation of policies and procedures; promotes effective and efficient operations throughout the organization by facilitating interdepartmental cooperation and sharing of resources; provides responsible staff assistance to the City Manager, City Council, and department heads; and serves as acting City Manager as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant City Manager/Land Development Manager are to:
- Manage and direct the administration of the City’s Land Development Program to include application intake, review, issuance, inspection, enforcement, and close out of land disturbance and building permits.
- Serve as the City Arborist and advise on permitting and enforcement matters related to tree preservation, protection of natural waterways within the city, and stormwater and floodplain management.
- Direct and supervise the annual reporting and recertification of the City’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) program, the Community Rating System for reduced floodplain policy premiums, the Tree City USA program, and other federal, state, and regional environmental protection programs.
- Assist the City Manager and City Council in developing and implementing goals and facilitating intergovernmental cooperation.
- Oversee maintenance and new improvements on all city-owned properties and facilities including City Hall, the Innovation Center at Curiosity Lab, and the Town Green and associated amenities.
- Direct and supervise Economic Development activity within the city; develop, update, and implement the City’s Economic Development Plan; meet and communicate with city businesses and corporate tenants to facilitate recruitment, retention, and expansion within the city; advise and consult as to real estate opportunities with Technology Park and the greater City corporate limits.
- Promote Curiosity Lab and assist in establishing partnerships with startups, corporate entities, trade associations, and other government officials to advance the Lab’s objectives.
- Assist Public Works Director to facilitate right-of-way acquisitions and improvements; assist Community Development Director, Zoning Administrator, and City Manager with zoning matters on private property.